Saturday, May 8, 2010

Working on the real life

The real life...as in an actual paying job. I have these applications of employment so far:
Teavana
Charlotte Russe
Costco

And am going to get some later from:
Ikea
h&m
New York and Company

I'd love it if I could get a job at H&M or Teavana or New York and Co.

I've researched, and on H&M's website, they make it obvious that they audit their foreign suppliers. They employ auditors to go to the various foreign companies and make sure they are complying with U.S. labor laws and work environment standards. In other words, everything you buy at H&M, you can be 100% positive that it was not made by young children or overworked/underpayed employees. They do not buy from sweatshops. There are the necessary fire emergency plans in place.

No other website or customer service employees of other clothing stores I have looked at have been as helpful in determining who they buy from. New York and Company wasn't as explicit or detailed in their description of the investigation process they use with foreign suppliers, but there was some information saying that they at least check out the places. The people I contacted at Charlotte Russe were completely clueless as to where there inported clothing came from.

H&M is my first choice.
Then Teavana.

I'd just really prefer to not work at places that take advantage of disadvantaged people...

No comments:

Post a Comment