Friday, May 7, 2010

Little treasures

A few days ago, while I was still at school, my mom called me to tell me that we had a robin's nest on our garden. It's only about two feet off the ground, in between the fence and the wall of the house. There are four eggs, she said. So I did a little research and found out all about this momma robin's life:

Robin's do not mate for life. They don't even mate for the summer. A female robin will have up to three or four hatches of eggs throughout the spring/summer. The first one will consist of four eggs, the next few will only have two or maybe three. Out of each little grouping of eggs, it's likely that only one bird will survive.

Thing is, we don't know if even one will survive, because the nest is on the edge of our garden. It's situated in a way that, when the baby birds are starting to fall out and learn to fly, they could jump off into the garden (which is gated off from the rest of our yard) or into the yard (which my dog has free reign over when we let him out). So we just have to be careful that neither we nor Buddy gets too close...

This morning, however, I woke up to momma robin pecking at my window and peeping in. I don't know what she was expecting to see, but my sister said this has been happening frequently. Buddy went crazy and started barking. It's kind of cute though, this little robin's invasion of my privacy. I hope she does it again, so I can take a picture of the silly thing and show you.

I took pictures of the nest and was hoping to post them, but while moving back home, I seem to have temporarily lost track of the cord I need to connect my camera and computer. Hopefully, I find it while unpacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment