Saturday, December 25, 2010

I don't know...I've been thinking about a point of view (Calvinistic maybe? idk) and questioning sanctification. I know and am close to people who claim to be sanctified (like a "christian perfection," people who are sold-out to God and their views are completely alligned with God's will...something like that). And I know people aren't perfect, but...well, no, no 'but'- that's it: People aren't perfect. So how can there be this sanctification? I really don't get it. I don't think I agree. Because it's in the day-to-day behavior where I see a lack of love and sincerity. I want to be the kind of person is loving and peaceful and patient and kind and sincere in person, in every moment. I want to show God's love in the details. But I don't. I just have this overwhelming awareness that I'll never be good enough, and I hate that knowledge. What am I supposed to do? I mean, I can just accept that fact or not, but it's a powerful piece of information, you know? I could recognize that I'm completely imperfect and not even try, or I can do the whole trying thing, and hope I did better compared to the next person? Does that sound right to you? Where is the middle ground, because I'm struggling to find it. How do you live? We are broken, and I am seriously confused about how I am supposed to do this. I can only think of two choices: recognize the imperfection and a) live with the fact that nothing you do can be right because no thing or action will be as it was truly meant or b) and try to make up for it by constantly trying  to be what you aren't - perfect - and then trying again and again because you keep on failing. There has to be an option C right? I'm stuck in limbo now, a coma between the only two options I have. Why can't things unravel and be uncomplicated again? Why can't things be a nice neat straight line, where all the answers are in front of you, if you just keep going?

All these questions that lead to more questions that I have no answer for...or maybe I did once and have forgotten them...

3 comments:

  1. Option C is grace, it's what God is all about and what Jesus came to give us. No, we aren't perfect. Yes, we need to try to be perfect. We can't do it by ourselves. That's where Jesus comes in. You try, and believe me you've got to give it your all, every last bit of effort you have. Love the Lord your God with all your Mind, Heart and Soul. BUT once you've done everything you can, that's enough. Jesus takes the sacrifice and makes it perfect. He can do that for you because he did it himself, gave up everything for God. So he knows how hard it is to be perfect, to walk the narrow road.
    We all fall short, but Jesus says that's ok. When we fall he picks us up and tells us to keep going. One day, when we die and see God face to face, THEN he will finish perfecting us. Until then, we try to get as close as possible. But you don't have to worry about actually being perfect, because Jesus did that. He makes up the difference.
    It's like the saying, it's the thought that counts. How often have you been given a present that wasn't exactly what you would like to get, or had someone do something for you that you didn't necessarily want? But you see what they did and you appreciate what they tried to do. You make the gift or action perfect by how you recieve it. That is what Jesus does for us. He takes our desire to be like him and to do good, to love, and accepts it as a perfect gift. I think that's what sanctified means, not that we are perfect, totally in touch with God and in line with his will, but we strive to be and he makes up the difference. If you strive for God, you will see improvment, and you will also see failure, but I think you will see more improvement than failure, and that is what God focuses on. He wants to make you perfect, but you're not there yet. You'll never get there if you give up, either, and you can't just wait till you're dead, because if you don't try in this life, why should God think you will try in the next?
    And don't worry about how to compare to other people. That is a bad, dangerous road to go down. Everyone is different, so everyone will be different, so you can't compare yourself to others. It's apples and oranges. Worry about how you look in God's eyes, and ask him to help you paint a better picture.
    By the way, I disagree with most of what Calvin taught, predestination and all. We have a choice, and if we choose to reach up to God, he'll reach back. Grab his hand and dont ever let go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if you're wondering who this strange person on your blog is, I'm Marie DeVries (of Fireside Musings) cousin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha thanks for that little sidenote : P

    and i completely get that, in fact i knew that, too. i guess i just never thought of it like that, never really connected the dots between what i've learned, and how i understand it in my own way.

    i'm in a place where i'm going over everything i've learned and accepted, and am
    making sure everything is as i have assumed. i know it will all lead back to God...I guess I'm just pinning all the basic foundations of my own faith? i obviously have a long way to go, or maybe it's a life thing. noone ever knows all the answers, right? c:

    anyways, thank you so much for reminding me : )

    ReplyDelete